Thursday, May 27, 2010

Don't Swim at Dawn, Dusk, or Night

Well, I made it. I'm in Houston, or at least a suburb of Houston. The trip here was uneventful. Not as much crying as expected, mostly just when I hugged my mom and when I pulled out of my driveway. Actually. Only at those times. So that was pleasant.

And now I'm here getting all settled in. Tomorrow I head to my host family's beach house. I know what you're thinking: "How do I get a host family like that??" Answer: Make friends with Dudley Chancey. (And God. It's really the Lord who blessed me with this internship.)

Anyway.

Here's a quick video update. Sorry for the poor quality. My camera conveniently died this week so I have had to resort to making bad videos using my built-in camera. You'll survive. Plus. The video is mainly for my family. I guess I should tell them to read my blog.


And I'll leave you with this story. 
You know you're in Houston when one of the top news stories is about the local alligator mating season. Don't worry. As long as you follow the tips, you should be fine. (I'm going to go ahead and copy Stephanie because I think she's great.)

1. Don't feed or provoke the alligators. 
(Excuse me? Who would do either? Have I moved to the land of stupidity??)
2. Don't swim at dawn, dusk, or night. 
(Apparently this is when they are most ready to mate. Duh.)
3. Watch children while swimming. 
(If you're not already watching your child while he or she swims is an alligator really going to change things?)
4. There was a fourth one but I don't remember it. (
Probably something along the lines of "Don't try to domesticate the alligators.")


I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend! Be prepared for a beach update when I get back. I'll try not to get sunburned this time. No promises. 


Photobucket

No comments: