Monday, October 26, 2009

Be Still

I could quote Psalm 46:10 from the time I was... oh 10 or so. "Be still and know that I am God." But actually being still is so different from talking about being still.

For my voice lessons, I've been studying this technique where a large part of it is being still, like completely still, and pin-pointing the places in your body where the most tension is. It's been so helpful to my lessons, but also really helpful to my spiritual life. The book on this technique talks about how hard being still is. Just a short (well, semi-short) quote for you. "Why is it that so many people dread the idea of staying still? Why do we fidget and wiggle about all the time? ... A primary motivation for all this fidgeting is that we are attempting to get away from ourselves, away from some feeling of discomfort or agitation."
This is so true for me. Physically and spiritually. Recently, I've found that the Lord has become like a good friend I haven't talked to in awhile: I still consider Him a wonderful friend, but I don't know much about what He wants in my life and our times together have become a little awkward and forced.
I think part of the remedy for this is just being still. Just like Moses told the Israelites to stand still while the Lord fought for them. It's so hard for me. I love to be going, going, going all the time. But many times I need to just be still and let the Lord do His work.
Photobucket

No comments: